Because the rate of diverticulosis increases with age, diverticulosis can be troublesome when it develops into diverticulitis. Preventative, holistic measures are essential for ensuring it’s under control and treated in the best ways possible.
Why Choose Naturopathy for Diverticulitis?
Diverticula are pockets or bulges that occur along the large intestine wall. These bulges increase pressure in the colon but can present huge risks if there are signs of infection in the colon. Diverticulosis and diverticulitis are two conditions that makeup what’s known as diverticular disease or a disease of the colon causing diverticula to develop.
Diverticulosis occurs when the diverticula begin to develop, but about 80-85% of diverticulosis cases remain asymptomatic. However, about 5% of patients develop diverticulitis. Diverticulitis is when the diverticula become swollen and inflamed from infection, which is a serious, potentially dangerous condition.
Diverticulosis is the fifth most common gastrointestinal condition throughout the United States and Canada. According to Medscape, Diverticulosis occurs in about 5% of people under 40 and rises to about 65% by age 85. These risks increase due to age – as the body becomes unable to absorb nutrients, symptoms such as constipation, bloating, obesity, and low-fiber diets can increase the risk.
The medical standard of care for diverticulitis is antibiotics and avoiding food for several days. But then what? When diverticulitis continually reoccurs, surgery is recommended.
That’s why at Dr. Dan Wool’s office, naturopathic treatment is considered the best way to get to the root cause, treat the gut and help avoid complications and prevent relapses.
Dr. Wool’s Gut Repair Plan for Diverticulitis
Dr. Wool uses a variety of naturopathic treatments to alleviate symptoms of diverticulitis immediately and works with you on a longer-term strategy for your condition. As a natural gut health doctor, Dr. Wool’s gut repair plan addresses diverticulitis through the following steps:
- Important Caution: If signs of fever, nausea, and stomach pain are present, then you must go to the ER for treatment, as any signs of fever indicate that it has become life-threatening.
- Meeting and assessment: Dr. Wool will perform a thorough 90-minute intake and exam to assess your current symptoms, your medical history and other important factors that play into your health.
- Testing: Dr. Wool will order and perform various gastrointestinal specialty tests to uncover the underlying issues associated with your diverticulitis.
- Adjunct treatment: During your initial appointment, Dr. Wool may recommend natural treatment to help address pain and inflammation and the microbiome to help relieve your gut immediately and for the long term.
- Review Test Results: After receiving the test results, Dr. Wool will provide a comprehensive review of his findings, made easy for you to understand and proactively participate in.
- Treatment for Diverticulitis: Throughout your recommended treatment plan, Dr. Wool can prescribe a personalized combination of treatments to help control your diverticulitis and prevent it from becoming chronic, including specialized diets, nutritional supplements, probiotics IV nutrition, acupuncture and other treatment methods.
You can receive exceptional naturopathic treatment for your diverticulitis from Dan Wool, NMD, in Scottsdale, Arizona, through proactive care. Call Dr. Dan Wool or schedule an appointment online today.